Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Last Day- Day 24 6/24/2009







Day 24
June 24, 2009


At the ward again we joined the diabetic foot team. These foot infections and deteriorations thru gangrene, cellulitis, and osteomyletis are visually disturbing as well as difficult to treat. The patients stay in the hospital for a long time in comparison to the U.S. because the insurance covers hospital stay. The doctor’s say this presents a problem and that many patients could care for the wound at home when they choose to stay. Overcrowding of hospitals. Learned a lot once again.

Came home and checked my email. A family friend sent an email advising me to call my family ASAP. Called and reached my mother. She told me that my dad had died this morning while they were riding on their tandem bicycle.

Intense shock followed by sadness.
My Dad is an incredible man. He died doing what he loves with the one he loves, my mother. They have the best relationship of any couple I’ve ever known. They love bicycles. They have ridden from coast to coast across America together. He lived for the love of life. A genuine, kind, and happy man. I am lucky to have had him as my father. He had a thirst for knowledge and loved to laugh. I will try my best to live up to his example.
It is time to go home to be with my family to mourn and celebrate life.

I had to leave 2 days early. I am on the plane now. I will arrive to Indiana in about 22 hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment